Monday, December 4, 2023

Three Seriously Stupid Serious Songs, part three

If there is one thing that guys understand about love, it is that we must always tell women that we will do the impossible in order to get them to love us back. Of course, that isn't true, but it is true that guys often make impossible claims for the purpose of proving their love.

That is the case with this part. Each of these songs is an appeal from a guy who is in love. Two are songs about the love the singer has having no limits, and the third is about an undisclosed limitation. 

The standards for these songs are the same as in the first two parts. The song must have been popular enough to get radio air time, the song cannot have been a parody or intended to be funny, and, upon examination, the lyrics have to convey a seriously stupid thought or no thought at all. 

These are not songs I hate. I like many of these songs.

Here are three seriously stupid serious songs about what guys will do to woo sex . . . I mean, what guys will do for love.


Grenade by Bruno Mars


This ballad is about a guy who is trying to reconcile the difference between the deep love he has for someone who apparently does not place the same value on him or their relationship. In fact, at one point in the song, he alludes to his lover actually wanting to hurt him.

Black, black, black and blue
Beat me 'til I'm numb,
Tell the devil I said "hey"
When you get back to where you're from
Mad woman, bad woman
That's just what you are
Yeah, you'll smile in my face
Then rip the brakes out my car

Okay, most all of us have crazy exes that we got together with for reasons other than our compatibility. I suppose it is common that we also reflect on those relationships at times, and it is not far-fetched that the reflection would be the differences in how committed each was to the other.

What is seriously stupid about this song is how far he was willing to go to prove his love for her. At the end of the chorus, he says he would take a bullet for her. Now, that is devotion. Before that, however, there are three other things he claims he will do.

I would catch a grenade for you
Throw my hand on a blade for you
I'd jump in front of a train for you

Stop! What?

Catching the grenade could save her life. Keeping her from getting stabbed could save her life. What the heck would be the purpose of jumping in front of a train? It would be better if he just yelled at her to get off the tracks because he isn't going to stop a train by jumping in front of it! My guess is that if she is telling him to jump in front of a train for her, she may not be planning to go to the funeral.

It's still a lovely song by a great star, even if it is seriously stupid!


Wait a Million Years by The Grassroots


This may come as a shock to many of you, but guys will tend to exaggerate their dedication to their partners. Actually, guys tend to exaggerate about almost everything. 

Even by those standards, Rob Grill and The Grassroots take exaggeration to new heights, distances, and feats in this classic song from the '60s. The first two verses leave it open as to what this song is about. Is he longing for her to arrive? Does she travel and he is ecstatic that she is coming home? 

The third verse, though, makes it clear that he is longing for a love that is not being returned in an adequate portion as he believes he is giving. 

Pacing the floor, detest
Sweat pouring down my chest
Still I can't love you less
It's worth all the pain and pride
Baby I just can't hide
All that I feel inside

Now, I can see promising millions of things to someone who I know is not going to ask me to deliver on the promise. However, a million anything is a whole lot of that thing. Sometimes it is possible, and sometimes it is not. 

For example, if he promised to count to a million at the rate of eight hours a day and seven days a week before moving on, he is giving her three weeks. Even that is crazy to imagine as something to do. This guy, though, is promising impossible feats and timeframes.

I'd wait a million years
Walk a million miles
Cry a million tears
I'd swim the deepest sea
Climb the highest hill
Just to have you with me

There are events about which crying a million tears is possible, even if only figuratively. Breaking up with someone is generally not worthy of that level of grief. Walking a million miles is roughly forty trips around the equator - on foot. One thing that is pretty certain about the million years, though, whatever they find of him will be hardened, but through petrification at that point.

Despite the lyrics being seriously stupid, it is still a great song!




I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) by Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf has a cult following that extends well beyond his legacy as a rock star. He is an entertainer. He was even in The Rocky Horror Picture Show as the main course for dinner!

His live performances of Paradise By The Dashboard Light always include him and his partner acting out the progression of the relationship. The man is simply bigger than his music. That said, his music is among the classics of rock.

One of his biggest hits was this song about what all he will do for love, which is anything (but that), whatever "that" is. In the beginning, we are led to believe it might be that he would never lie to her.

And I would do anything for love
I'd run right into hell and back
I would do anything for love
I'll never lie to you and that's a fact

However, it isn't at that point that he chimes with the chorus. The next lines tells us what the situation really is!

But I'll never forget the way you feel right now
Oh no 
No way
And I would do anything for love
But I won't do that
No I won't do that

Whatever it is that he won't do is something she wants him to do while they are intimate. That changes everything! Now I want to know what the heck it is that he won't do! Does it involve accessories? Does it involve pain? Does she want him to sell his motorcycle? There are so many things I can think of that are not worth doing for love!

Toward the end, he spills the beans about his real intentions.

That I would do anything for love
I'll be there 'til the final act
And I would do anything for love
And I'll take the vow and seal the pact

But I'll never forgive myself
If we don't go all the way tonight

Here is a shortened live version with his theatrics on full display.


* * * * *