Thursday, January 18, 2024

Remembering Elliana: My Equal Opposite

Candace was my birthday present, Erin was my Father's Day gift, and Elliana was my equal opposite. Our birthdays are exactly six months apart. We used to play a game in which Elliana would ask me how old I would be when she was a certain age. I would always be forty-seven-and-a-half years older than she would be! 

Obviously, she and I were equally people and opposing genders, but she was large, and I was small. Plus, she moved slowly, and I was quick. Despite that, we were best friends from the start. If she saw me somewhere when she was a toddler, she wanted to hang out with me. That was almost always fine with me! Of course, that changed when friends started coming over, but all good things unfortunately come to an end.

Despite everything that made us opposites, we were equal in some areas of growth and maturity, or maybe better said immaturity. We both struggled for popularity. Neither of us could help a team of popular people by participating in a game. 

I was bright, small, and quick, so it was in how sneaky I could be that I found my way around rules and such. She was equally calculating in the mind, but she was large, slow, and clumsy when it came to moving. When she was there, she was obvious. I could get lost and hide. She could not. We were equal opposites.

Another facet of life that we were equal in was experimenting with drugs as young teens. Both of us smoked pot more than we drank, but we also both experimented with dangerous drugs just to do them.

Mostly, I remember many workday experiences with white cross-top speed, but I also remember smoking angel dust and opium. I took mescaline in gel-cap form several times. Who knows what I was actually getting.

Elliana's second choice was what she called "percs" when I found some. I knew better than to think these pills were prescription Percocet. They were one of the many forms of fentanyl-laced products that hit the streets. Her preferred method of consumption was through smoking it.

I remember making some really bad choices with drugs, but I survived. Survivor's remorse is futile, for if I had died, there would be no story to tell. Again, we were just equal opposites.