Friday, January 5, 2024

Remembering Elliana: The Transpro Picnic

I worked for a non-emergency medical transport company named Transpro for a few months in 2008 before departing for Northwest Transport. Candace would sometimes drop Elliana off at the shop while I was washing my van after my shift. 

One day, Elliana was rinsing the van off when another driver approached her. He offered her a dollar to turn the hose on me. Elliana looked at me in bewilderment. She wanted the dollar, but she didn't want to hurt her papa. When I told her to go for the dollar, she soaked me! I tried to get out of range, but the hoses were powerful. The driver gave her three dollars and all of his change for the impressive soaking my three-year-old granddaughter gave me!

Of course, Elliana was my date to the company picnic later that year. She would get to meet the children of some of the drivers she knew, so she was excited about it! She stayed with me the night before the picnic with Candace packing her clothes for the event. 

Candace had not thought about who Elliana was going to be around when she packed the clothes. She gave me the option of two new outfits and two new pairs of boots. I had some of her older clothes to wear, but no shoes. Elliana chose to wear her tan Uggs. 

She and I had a blast at the picnic! Some of the adults were making art with the children. Some of the adults were playing games with other children. One of us got out the hose to make puddles to jump in and had the most fun being childlike among the children! 

The kids took turns making puddles, which was a thrill for most of them. Then we would see who could make the biggest splashes! Most of the adults enjoyed the show! They loved seeing their children cooling off on a hot day having fun with someone who is trying to be less mature than they were! A couple of adults and older teens joined in the fun!

All good things come to an end, which was the case for both the picnic and Elliana's new Ugg boots. Candace looked at them and told me that they are ruined. She could never wear them again for anything other than play and they were meant to be her new boots for a while. 

I told her that it was unfair to blame me. After all, it wasn't my fault that jumping in mud puddles is so much fun!