Sunday, December 3, 2023

Three Seriously Stupid Serious Songs, part two

Music can be different things to different people. Some people choose relaxing music, while others might opt for invigorating sounds. Whatever the reasons are that we choose the music we listen to, it is often for the melodies and not for the words. Some of the songs that we like have rather odd lyrics that may flow well, but are seriously stupid if we examine them.

To be considered for this series, a song has to be serious. It must have been somewhat popular. Finally, the lyrics have to be seriously stupid when examined as a storyline, or, more commonly, for lack of a storyline. For example, Louie, Louie would not qualify despite being popular and seriously stupid, because it was not intended to be serious. 

Each of the songs in this part of the series are songs that I personally love listening to. I wish they had deep meaning, but the lyrics are seriously stupid despite that I like the songs. It is okay to like seriously stupid serious songs, so please don't be offended if one of your personal favorites make the list.

Here are three songs I love that are seriously stupid serious songs.

Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer

I remember having this song on my short play list just so I could hear it again and again. It is so smooth and Leigh Nash's voice sounds rather seductive in it. 

My daughter Candace was over one day. I mentioned how much I like the song and why. She told me that was about the only reason to like it because the lyrics really don't say anything. I didn't believe her, but it is true unless you can make sense of this:

Kiss me out of the bearded barley
Nightly, beside the green, green grass
Swing, swing, swing the spinning step
You wear those shoes and I will wear that dress

Oh well, putting it in the series means I get to hear it again!



A Horse With No Name by America

This song has the sound of deep thought, like a soft rock song with folk song roots. It doesn't. The stupidity of the lyrics are almost immediate.

On the first part of the journey
I was looking at all the life
There were plants and birds and rocks and things

Okay, maybe I am being a bit critical just because "rocks" are not life, and neither are "things" unless the things are like animals since he already mentioned plants. Let's go a bit further into the song.

The ocean is a desert with its life underground
And the perfect disguise above
Under the cities lies a heart made of ground
But the humans will give no love

I love the song, but it is seriously stupid!



Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam

Though this song may deserve a break because the words were made up during a recording session, the band could have said, "Eddie, let's think about this." 

Here are the lyrics in the original release:

Unsealed on a porch a letter sat
Then you said I wanna leave it again
Once I saw her on a beach of weathered sand
And on the sand I wanna leave it again, yeah
On a weekend wanna wish it all away
And they called and I said I want what I said
And then I called out again
And the reason oughta leave her calm, I know
I said I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag

It helps that the words are barely intelligible, and you will not find a live version with the same lyrics, even from show to show. It's a great song even if it is seriously stupid. Here is Pearl Jam doing one of my favorite songs, even if it is seriously stupid. You must watch it on YouTube, but the link in the song will take you there!