Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Why I Gave Up Christmas Shopping

Christmas has always been a weird holiday for me. 

As a child, we celebrated Christmas on Christmas eve because my older sister's birthday is on the 25th. I always felt a bit bad for Maureen. People would give her one gift and tell her it was for both Christmas and her birthday. However, that was her problem. It only seemed weird to me.

The problem that I had with Christmas was that it seemed to be more stressful than happy for the adults. Also, the need to buy knickknacks for other people kept me from buying the slot car racetrack I wanted for myself. In return, I would get trinkets, toys, and clothes that cost everyone more than the racetrack that I wanted, if they had pooled their money. 

However, Christmas shopping for me remained an annual tradition until Candace ruined it for me when she was about eight or nine years old. Oh, sure, you say, blame the child, but it is her fault. 

The kids both got some clothes as part of their gifts from me. Erin got a modified jean jacket. Candace, though, got a nice dress, some pantyhose, and shoes that she would love!

Erin opened her jacket before Candace got to her gift. She looked at it and told me, "Just what I always wanted, a jean jacket with material on the shoulders!"

When Candace opened her clothing gift, she said, "It's beautiful, Dad, but you don't expect me to wear it, do you?" 

Of course, I allowed my children to dress themselves, for the most part. I gave her the receipt, which she misplaced on the way to the store. She got something like $16 for my $80 investment. 

I talked with my kids after that. I suggested that I could give them money, and they could shop when clothes that cost $80 the days before Christmas sell for $16 after Christmas. 

Candace thought that was a good idea. It was a good idea to me, also. After all, cash is always the right size and color for Candace, but what about Erin?

Erin admitted that if she were given money, she probably would not have bought a jean jacket with material on the shoulders. 

Therefore, it was a unanimous decision for me to give up Christmas shopping, and not some bah humbug Scroogie-thing because I think Christmas is a weird holiday!