Thursday, December 21, 2023

Three Songs About Ex-Boyfriends

Heartbreak comes in many flavors, and so do the songs about the people who cause broken hearts. The three songs I've selected for this post are different in the ways the singers reflect on their ex-boyfriends.

One of the songs is deeply reflective, and just a bit bitter, about love that was not taken as seriously as it was given. One is a lady straight up telling her ex-boyfriend that he messed up and is going to be missing out.

We're going to start out with a song in which the lady is going to make it known that she knows what he is doing, she is done with him, and she is really pissed off, too!


Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood


This former American Idol tells the tale of a woman scorned. When this woman is scorned, though, she lets it be known that she is angry! First, she describes the bimbo she imagines is his side lover.

Right now, he's probably slow dancing
With some bleached-blonde tramp
And she's probably getting frisky
Right now, he's probably buying her some fruity little drink
'cause she can't shoot whiskey

Then she describes taking her anger out on his prized pickup truck.

I dug my key into the side
Of his pretty little souped up four-wheel drive
Carved my name into his leather seats
I took a Louisville Slugger to both headlights
Slashed a hole in all four tires
Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats

Any idea that this is a warning and she is sticking with him is dashed in the bridge of the song.

I might have saved a little trouble for the next girl
'cause the next time that he cheats
Oh you know it won't be on me
No, not on me




Take a Bow by Rhianna


Unlike the previous song in which the ex-boyfriend has not yet found out he is an ex, the ex-boyfriend in this song is finding out that he is an ex. 

You look so dumb right now
Standing outside my house
Trying to apologize
You're so ugly when you cry
Please, just cut it out
And don't tell me you're sorry 'cause you're not
Baby, when I know you're only sorry you got caught

She likens him hiding his affair with act in a show, and she is letting him know the show is over.

But you put on quite a show
Really had me going
But now it's time to go
Curtain's finally closing
That was quite a show
Very entertaining
But it's over now
Go on and take a bow

There is not much else I can say about it. She says it all.


Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez


Can you imagine what a powerhouse folk rock couple Joan Baez and Bob Dylan would have made? Joan could. Bob couldn't. The result is one of the biggest hits the folk-singing legend ever had. 

She starts by talking about being haunted by memories of the relationship upon receiving a call from him.

Well I'll be damned
Here comes your ghost again
But that's not unusual
It's just that the moon is full
And you happened to call

And here I sit
Hand on the telephone
Hearing a voice I'd known
A couple of light years ago
Heading straight for a fall

The pain of her poetry comes to life as she waxes through the relationship. She remembers being supportive of him and his career, but also she remembers the criticisms. In the bridge she recalls the ultimate moment of the relationship, speaking only for herself, of course.

In the end, the pain of the memories for her cannot be quelled by his offer to forget about that if she would be interested in getting together again.

Now you're telling me
You're not nostalgic
Then give me another word for it
You who are so good with words
And at keeping things vague

Because I need some of that vagueness now
It's all come back too clearly
Yes, I loved you dearly
And if you're offering me diamonds and rust
I've already paid