Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Three Songs About Masturbation

Masturbation can be such a sticky topic. Most people want to keep their thoughts on the topic as private as their practice of it. We are told that we should love ourselves by some of the greatest minds that have ever lived, but we still find that if the topic of masturbation comes up that many people just want to jerk the conversation a different direction. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

If music is art, and art reflects life, and masturbation is part of life, then it follows that some music is about masturbation. Of course, some is!

I selected three songs by artists who wrap their fingers around this topic and massage it with various stories of beating it in the game of love!

Rosie by Jackson Browne

This is a story about one of the technicians in the band connecting with a lady before a show, and getting her in with special tickets just to woo her! However, sex with her for him was not to be because she liked the drummer better. The chorus says it all:

Rosie, you're all right
You wear my ring
When you hold me tight
Rosie that's my thing
When you turn out the light
I've got to hand it to me
Looks like it's me and you again tonight
Rosie



Turning Japanese by The Vapors


The reference to masturbation is a bit more subtle in this song as "turning Japanese" has to do with the face a man who is masturbating makes before ejaculating. The opening lyrics set the stage for turning Japanese:

I've got your picture
Of me and you
You wrote I love you 
I wrote me too
I sit here staring and there's nothing else to do

Oh, it's in color 
Your hair is brown
Your eyes are hazel 
And soft as clouds
I often kiss you when there's no one else around

Just before the chorus of "I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so," the singer talks of "turning up and turning down, and turning in and turning 'round." 



Imaginary Lover by Atlanta Rhythm Section

This smooth, soft, and rhythmic song beats around the topic from the opening line of "imaginary lovers never turn you down" to the final words of "my imaginary lover, you're mine any time." Though they only caress the subject, there is little doubt about how much we should value imaginary lovers with lyrics like these:

When ordinary lovers don't feel what you feel
And real life situations lose their thrill
Imagination's unreal

and:

Imaginary lovers never disagree
They always care
They're always there when you need 
Satisfaction guaranteed

Enjoy the song any way you wish. This is a topic on which none of us should judge others!




* * * * *