Sunday, December 31, 2023

Remembering Elliana: Soaking Papa at Work

The final part of the day of work at Transpro was washing and putting away the van. Candace arrived while I was washing the van one sunny day, so I had Elliana, who was three years old, rinse the van while I finished washing it. 

Another driver walked up and decided to have some fun with the situation. He told Elliana that he would give her a dollar if she sprayed me with the hose. She looked at me a bit bewildered. She loves her papa, but a dollar is a dollar.

I gave her the okay, and she turned the hose on me. It was a warm day, so I didn't move too fast, but she was definitely hitting the target. For the next minute or so, she resumed rinsing me off every time I got into range. I would fake yelling at her and then step back into range for her.

I finally had to tell her to ease up so that I could get the job done and we could be on our way.

The driver was so impressed that he gave her a dollar and all of his change, and he told me that was the coolest grandfather and grandchild exchange he had seen in a long time. From then on, he called me Grandpa every time he saw me.

She and I finished up with the van and headed out for our day together. We had a good story to tell, and she had about $4 more than she started with!