Thursday, January 4, 2024

Remembering Elliana: Her First Shots

Javier called me somewhat in a panic. Elliana had been crying incessantly since she had her shots earlier in the day, and he could not figure out what the problem was. He had tried feeding her. Her diaper didn't need changing. She was uncomfortable and crying.

This was a job for Papa, so I headed over to see what I could do. Sure enough, she was crying uncomfortably when I got there.

I cuddled her when I held her. She seemed to be a bit comforted, so I sat down with her. Soon, she was sleeping in my arms. I just held her for an hour or so while she slept. 

I would rub and pat her back as she stirred in her sleep. She wanted to be held and cuddled, and that was all she needed. After an hour or so, Javier took his turn holding her while she slept. 

After a while, the soreness wore off, and Elliana was back to being her jovial self! 

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much children love their binkies, what they need is the reassurance of being held by someone they love and trust to get them through times of temporary discomfort, just like Elliana needed the day she got her first shots.