Friday, December 8, 2023

My Apology to Walmart

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" - John Maynard Keynes 

For decades, Walmart has stood as the symbol of capitalism gone awry. For some time, it earned the symbolic relationship by manipulating markets and cutting out competition for market share.

However, the facts have changed. It is time for me to not only change my mind, but to offer Walmart my sincere apology for not recognizing how far the company has come in producing a marketplace that competes with Amazon, and is greener and less greedy than what Bezos has set up, exploiting everyone from consumers to partners to employees.

I first took notice of the shifting a couple of years ago. There was an article about how Walmart was getting some recognition as a "green company" due to its distribution system that pushes economy through efficiency. At that point, my two experiences as a consumer with Walmart were disappointing. 

I have to admit to being buy-curious as I kept a closer eye on Walmart as a company. I ordered some items to pick up. It was a smooth and easy transaction. Soon, it became my preferred way of shopping, even though part of me still felt like I was petting a resting dragon. 

One day, a couple of months ago-or-so, I had to go into the store for a phone. I was surprised at the associates they had working there. No longer were there people who were trying to hold jobs, but there were all sorts of special people who were happy to help! 

On a second trip in, I was rewarded by an associate zooming by me while shifting gears as I went back to get another phone because I lost my last one. Theo helped set me up with a new phone. He was competent and efficient as he explained things to me while doing his own mental checklist.

My apology to Walmart is for not recognizing sooner that the transition that the store has gone through has made it a different place. It is no longer the sad place where old timers solemnly greet lowly customers. It is a happy place where happy people help customers get what it is they are looking for, whether in-store, at pick up, or via delivery, whichever is easiest and most efficient.