Tuesday, August 31, 1999

The Kids Are Back! (August 1999)

Note: This was originally an article in the Newsletter that our company published. This particular article was in Issue 286 from August 1999.

* * * * * 

As hard as it is to raise two daughters (one a teenager, and the other on the verge), it is always harder for me when they leave for the east coast to visit their mother during the summer. The 46 consecutive weeks of "I need this" and "I want that" should probably prelude a welcome 6-week break, but there's a hollow feeling when the kids are gone.

This past year we got to deal with homework, skipping, and a fight in school - and that was just one of the kids! With each request for help comes the reply that the other child should help because she does nothing! I have washed folded clothes, and it is normal to seek the towels from the bedrooms to get the 'family laundry' done. They argue with me for ten minutes because they shouldn't have to do a five-minute job as a condition for something they want.

If I had hair, there are days I'd pull it out!

Despite all that, the hardest task I face during the year is the trip to the airport to put them on a plane to visit their mom. For that ride, all the bad is put aside, and the discussion turns to ways we'll stay in touch. We talk about fun things like the go-kart rides we went on earlier in the day.

While they are gone, I find time to do things I never have time for, but the highlight of the time apart is when I get to talk to the girls on the phone. This year I was talking to my 15-year-old. She had taken her sister and two neighbor kids to the swimming pool. She told me she noticed a very young child walking on the pool floor toward the deep end. She picked the child up who began crying and clutching her as soon as she cleared the water. Her point was to tell me that the child's mother yelled at the child for walking away! She never recognized that she possibly saved the girl's life despite there being little risk to her! She was a hero - at least to me!

Time passes, and the six weeks was over recently. They came back with two extra suitcases full of clothes, games, and other goodies. We unloaded the car, put the bags in the front room, and sat around drinking cokes and talking about the trip. They stayed up to watch a movie after I went to bed. When I got up, the coke glasses were still on the coffee table, a couple suitcases were open with clothes that were in the way laying beside them, and there was a pan in which macaroni and cheese was made that was not put to soak. All I could think, though, was how good it was for the kids to be home!

* * * * *

Other posts you might enjoy:

That Endearing Moment with Tickle Belle
That Endearing Moment with Noofie Bugg
My Daughter's Wife
The Census Taker
Christmas in February: Michael Che Comedy Show
Build-A-Bear With the Grandkids