Monday, November 18, 2019

The Fishing Trip (A Final Version): Dedicated to Chas Henderson

My friend asks me if I’m ready to go, but I’m mixed about making the trip. 

Most people don’t even know I exist to care if I go, but those who know me are giving me mixed signals. I tell him that I am ready, but that I need a moment to make sure it’s really okay with everybody. “People tell me they are okay with me going fishing, but I suspect they really are not.”

He said people will always tell you that they know you are going to go fishing. They will tell you that they can accept that you are going to go fishing. However, they often want to change their minds when it’s actually time for you to go fishing. He went on to tell me that no matter how hard I tried, I would never find a time when everybody would agree that it was okay for me to go fishing.

“Come on,” he said. “Let’s go.” 

“You’re right,” I said. I grabbed my gear and walked away with him. 

I could hear the crying growing fainter when in the fading distance I heard, “I’m sorry; it’s over. He’s gone now.”

“So, are you taking me marlin fishing on the Caribbean?”

“We have forever,” he tells me, “and you’re going to love the fishing on the Copper River!”

That was fine with me. It had been a long time since I had seen my friend. I had missed him often.

* * * * *

From Infinity: Where Everything is Real which is part of my Concpetual Thoughts series. I finished the book about the time of my friend's death. The story was dedicated to the memory of Chas Henderson.

Available as an eBook on Amazon.