Monday, November 4, 2019

Recipe: Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

I love sausage gravy and biscuits. However, I am so often disappointed with the lack of flavor and zing of the serving when I order it at restaurants.

I decided to try my hand at making it one day, but I didn’t want to go through all the trouble the really good chefs go through to make it to their high standards. Despite its simplicity, this recipe makes a very tasty meal that mocks the flavor those classy chefs provide through their painstaking process.

It is so good, in fact, that it is often requested by visitors, and has become a family favorite!


Ingredients:

12 ounce pack of Jimmy Dean (or store brand) Hot or Spicy Sausage 
2 packets of Country Gravy mix 
3½ to 4 cups of water (based on instructions on the packets) 
4 tubes of Pillsbury (or store brand) Biscuits 
½ cup diced onion (optional)

Brown the sausage with the onion (if you choose to use it) in a large frying pan or medium sauce pan. Once browned completely, add the country gravy packets and the water. (I do not drain the grease from the sausage to get the added flavor. You may want to for dietary reasons.) Turn the heat up, and stir until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low to keep the gravy warm.

Bake the biscuits according to the instructions on the tube.

Once the biscuits are fully cooked, you are ready to enjoy this fine creation! I usually cook some eggs to accompany my delicacy, and have some seasonal fruit to balance it a bit.

It is also great when served over hashbrowns or toast instead of biscuits.

This recipe will easily serve six to eight people, or four really fat people (like me).

∗ ∗ ∗ ∗ ∗

We had this when my cousins recently came up from San Diego to visit. It was such a hit that I had to grab some while still cooking eggs lest it would have been gone.

Mom had a craving for it a few weeks after that. She decided to make it herself. She did everything the same, except she used 12 ounces of Regular sausage, made her own gravy with flour and salt, and put it over baking powder biscuits made from Bisquik. It was still good, but Mom said it just didn’t taste like mine.

If one definition of insanity is doing everything the same and expecting different results, then, paradoxically, another definition must be doing everything differently and expecting the same results.

Now, I love Mom dearly, and she certainly is not criminally insane, but all I could do was offer her the comfort of telling her that her recipe tasted fine!