Wednesday, August 5, 2015

In Memory of Dick Jordan

My daughters think I’m a terrific dad. I know this because they tell me so.

This wasn’t an accident. It was learned.

One of my teachers was a man I met when I coached his daughter’s little league softball team. His name was Dick Jordan. Dick died Tuesday.

He and Lorraine Jordan were at every practice. They were at every game. They hosted team parties at their home.

He taught me the value of participating in my children’s activities. He taught me the value of encouraging my children to persevere. He taught me the value of having fun with my children even when things weren’t so fun.

I don’t know if my daughters ever met him. Perhaps they did in passing at the store, but they never got to know him personally. They did, however, get to know him more than they realize because he was one of the men who I would purposely emulate in raising them. He was one of the hugest influences to me on how to be a good parent.

His family may have lost him in flesh, but there is little doubt in my mind that his spirit will live on through his children and grandchildren. I know Renae Rishelle Robertson has a lot of that spirit, and I imagine her sister and brothers do also.

It took me a bit of time to find the right song to dedicate to this wonderful person, but I think this one fits my feelings about him pretty well.