Thursday, November 30, 2023

My First Ticket Goes to Todd!

I developed my own skill at generating traffic tickets after I got my driver's license. However, the first ticket I got for driving went to my friend, Todd Grimm.

Todd had a sweet, old 1964 Ford Fairlane that he restored to better than original condition. It had a really cool 8-track player that looked like it would eventually be something stock in Star Trek days! 

Todd went with me to a family barbecue at Bonney Lake when I was fourteen or fifteen years old. He took the car to a remote road and let me drive her! 

It was a smooth ride right up until the cop was coming at us in the opposite direction. Instead of driving, I pulled off the road, which caused the cop to turn around and pull Todd over. 

Todd, being the honest person he is, didn't even try to lie his way out of it. The reward for his honesty was a ticket for allowing an unlicensed driver to operate his car. 

Damn.

When Todd got home, he tossed his dad his keys and the ticket. Pete was more forgiving than Todd imagined, and probably got a chuckle imagining me driving Todd's car. 

Todd was my second friend, but he was the person who was most like a big brother to me. He eventually moved on, but he never let me down. 

To this day, I can't think of one time that I didn't love Todd for being who he was to me. I know I haven't told him what a big influence he has always been when it comes to facing up to my problems.