Thursday, April 6, 2023

My Diabetes Follow Up Visit

It was time for the follow up appointment with my doctor yesterday. It couldn't have come soon enough for some of my friends who seem to worry about my health because, they believe, I am reckless with it. For example, if I had taken my incessant coughing and dry heaving as seriously as they did, I might recognize that I could have a bleeding ulcer. 

I try to explain to them that throwing up is different than dry heaving, and I haven't been throwing up for six weeks either. I tell them that I threw up once six weeks ago and twice last week, but they always hear me coughing. I tell them that the most common time I cough is after a hit of weed or a dab, but what do I know compared to some app that diagnoses all types of terminal illnesses for exaggerated symptoms?

Anyway, I assured them that I would ask the doctor about it. 

The appointment was more eventful than previous visits. After weighing in 35 pounds lighter than I was when I was diagnosed as diabetic in December, the nurse took my blood pressure. It was 143/97. She wanted to go through more of the pre-screening and take it again. 

Obviously, the PACT Act is being taken seriously at the VA. I was asked if I was ever exposed to toxic materials while in the Air Force. I was. We would use powder asbestos and mix it with water to seal a furnace exhaust into the chimney hole. It wasn't too common, but it was after I served that the courts determined the asbestos industry knew that it was harmful and hid the information from the public. Still, I told her that contacting me about it was unnecessary.

The nurse again took my blood pressure. This time it was 164/107. I arranged for three vaccines on my way out, and then she took me across the hall to the doctor's office.

Dr. G was pleased with my weight loss. He told me that diabetes increases the risk of stroke, and that my cholesterol is slightly high. He recommended that I begin a low dose of cholesterol medication just to reduce the risk of a stroke. We discussed other things that concerned me. I was really pleased that he authorized footcare for me. He put his stethoscope in his ears and listened to my lungs and heart. Finally, he took my blood pressure. It was 127/78.

He told me that he noticed that I had been exposed to asbestos while in the military. I told him that I was, but I don't think I suffered health consequences because of it. He told me that he was going to send me to radiology for a chest x-ray, and he was changing my answer to wanting a VA representative to contact me to "yes." I think about how many Vietnam veterans never got that kind of attention over agent orange and shake my head in shame at how they were treated despite their visible health problems.

He wanted me to take another fasting blood test soon. I got that done today. He said that unless I have issues that concern me, or something shows up on the blood test, he wants to see me for a follow up in September. He asked about my mental health. I assured him that I am working with a psychiatrist despite being off the medication that made me gain so much weight. I still have my deep family concerns, but I am doing things now that I have some energy back. 

He asked if I had any questions. I told him I wanted to know how come he wasn't concerned about a bleeding ulcer like my friends are. He told me that my hemoglobin is normal, so I'm not losing blood. When I told my friends his answer, however, I added that he recommended community college as an inexpensive way to begin their education to become medical doctors.