Saturday, February 18, 2023

Bugsy Says, "Hold My Milk Bowl"

I have lost two of my cat buddies in two of the past four years. Both Prancer and Mr. Grumpy died in 2019. I lost my cuddle-buddy grandkitten, Charlie Cakes, in January of last year. In August, I lost Jezebel, who was my best friend ever who was an animal. 

We are able to get new furry family members as we lose our pets, but they do not really replace our losses. For example, I got Kai Guy in 2020. He is nothing like Prancer or Mr. Grumpy. Kai has his own distinct personality. He likes to be brushed, but he does not like being held. His greatest sign of affection is when he will stand on my lap and let me brush him or pet him. He is gone the moment he is free from any coddling I try to give him. 

Late last year, a roommate had to rescue two of his adult cats from the home of a scorned ex. One of those cats is a seventeen-year-old guy named Bugsy. I call him Bugs Buddy. 

Bugs is not a replacement for either Charlie Cakes or Jezebel. Charlie was my biggest cuddle buddy. He liked to lie next to my chest and push against me to get as close as possible. Jezebel was my guardian. She was friendly to all people, but I was her human. 

Somehow, Bugs Buddy must have heard these tales and said, "Hold my milk bowl."

It seems that he picked me as his human from the moment he arrived. His markings are that of a tuxedo cat, but he is grey and white instead of black and white. His personality is also close to what I associate with tuxedo cats. He is intelligent and loving. He prefers going outside to using a cat box, and he knows how to get someone's attention who can help him get outside.

He has adapted throughout his life. His front paws were declawed when he was young. I don't know if that is the reason he gets along so well with other animals, but it does mean that he has to establish his place in the pecking order on something other than violence. It seems to me that Kai runs things his way whenever he wants to, and Bugs is the elder in charge when Kai is out of range.

Back to the story, though, Bugs is cuddlier than Charlie Cakes was. Charlie would be nearby waiting for the perfect time to settle in and cuddle with me. He would wait for me to get settled in and comfortable before swooning in for some Papa cuddling. 

Bugs, on the other hand, appears to be giving me until the count of three to get comfortable, and he begins the counting with his first step onto my lap. Any adjustment for comfort by me after that is tolerated, but it is not appreciated. After all, I should understand his routine by now.

However, all is forgiven by him once we get settled in. He even does that thing that Jezebel used to do if I am lying on my side. He slides himself up and puts his paws over my shoulder. If I look up, he is looking down at me as if to say, "Oh, good. You're awake. I want to be petted."

Sometimes when he is getting the attention he wants from me, he seems so pleased that it's as if he is contemplating naming me employee of the month just to keep me motivated! 

Bugs does not replace my cuddle buddy, Charlie, nor does he replace my best friend, Jezebel. However, if I was sending out the vibes that no cat would ever be as cuddly as Charlie or claim me like Jezebel did, Bugs Buddy seems to have picked the vibes up and taken them as a challenge!